Thursday, June 5, 2008

2nd Year into Bak Chang Making



My first encounter with bak chang making was actually many years back when I was just a youth in church. I remembered vividly the times spend with the senior aunties back in Queenstown Lutheran Church, playing.. i mean making bak chang. One expert ah ma even uses big pandan leaves to make distinctively frangrant ones... Sad to say, over the years.. some of these beloved ladies had departed us.

I am one of those lucky wife with a MIL good at making bak chang too... Thus, i managed to get my MIL to impart some of her knowledge to me last year. That time, she assisted me with providing leaves that were cleaned and soaked proper. This year, it's purely Do-It-Myself... which really doubled my admiration for these old folks, my MIL inclusive cos it's truely hard work!!

Soaking the leaves itself already test ones patience.. having to soak it overnite, clean it thru once with wiping and wash, soak another round.. then wipe dry prior to using. 40+ leaves just to make 20 bak chang... gosh.

Oh well, this is my 'fruits' for this year attempt...

Yah... we went traditonal and use charcoal instead

Bak Chang with Pork Belly, Mushroom, Chestnut, Scallop and Hae bee Hiam. Nice!



Bak Chang with Braised Duck Meat, Enoki and Hae Bee Hiam. The duck meat got too tough after boiling thus not that nice

No comments: